Permanent Resident

  • Home Permanent Resident



Permanent Resident in Mississauga

A Permanent Resident in Mississauga (PR) of Canada is not a Canadian citizen but someone who has been granted permission to live, work and settle in Canada permanently as long as they maintain their status. A permanent resident of Canada can eventually apply for citizenship once they become eligible. To become a PR, one needs to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) through various immigration programs which Canada has to offer.

As a permanent resident of Canada, if you pay your taxes and abide by federal and provincial law and order; you get the right to avail the social benefits that Canadian citizens receive. Such as:

  • Health Care,
  • Canada Pension Plan,
  • Employment Insurance and
  • Right to live, study or work anywhere in Canada.
  • Protection under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Some jobs requiring high level security clearance may not allow you, as a permanent resident of Canada, to work due to your PR status.

To renew your permanent residency status every five years, you must fulfill certain requirements. You must be physically present in must live in Canada for at least two years (730 days) in a five-year period. If you live outside of Canada for longer, you may lose your permanent resident status.

You may be able to count your days outside Canada towards the 730 required days, if you meet the following conditions:

  • Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada: You can count the days outside Canada, if you have accompanied a Canadian citizen who is your spouse, common law partner or parent (if you are under 19 years of age).
  • Accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada:If you accompany your employed spouse, common-law partner, or parent (if you are under 19 years of age) as a permanent resident of Canada. If you have worked full-time for a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or a province or territory during that time, you can add the days you spent with them outside Canada to your total stay.
  • Employment outside Canada: If a Canadian business or public service in Canada or a province or territory employs you and assigns you to a full-time position outside Canada or to a client or an affiliate of the Canadian business or public service outside Canada, then you may count your days outside Canada towards the permanent residency requirement. You need to be working with the employer in Canada after the assignment,.

While travelling offshore, a permanent resident presents a PR card to prove that they are a permanent resident of Canada. I am not required to present any other type of visa or authorization for entering or re-entering the country. You will need this card to travel in and out of the country on a flight, commercial vehicle, airplane, boat, train or bus. It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Correl Immigration serves clients across Canada, India, US, UK, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand etc.

Contact Correl Immigration – Immigration Consultant in Mississuaga, Ontario

Copyright © 2024 - Correl Immigration Services. Designed & Developed By CONVIRZON